Lesson Plans from the New York Times

Journalism teachers, here’s a resource you can start using now:

The New York Times’ Learning Network provides “Lesson of the Day” for you to use with your students.  The short lesson plans feature current events articles, provided at no charge to teachers. Remember, high school teachers and students can get free digital access to the New York Times from April 6 through July 6, 2020.  Some of the lessons provide a variety of options for students, like the one for April 15:

12 Ideas for Writing Through the Pandemic With The New York Times

A dozen writing projects — including journals, poems, comics and more — for students to try at home.

New York Times journalist Natalie Proulx provides this introduction for the lesson:

We want to help inspire your writing about the coronavirus while you learn from home. Below, we offer 12 projects for students, all based on pieces from The New York Times, including personal narrative essays, editorials, comic strips and podcasts. Each project features a Times text and prompts to inspire your writing, as well as related resources from The Learning Network to help you develop your craft. Some also offer opportunities to get your work published in The Times, on The Learning Network or elsewhere.

We know this list isn’t nearly complete. If you have ideas for other pandemic-related writing projects, please suggest them in the comments.