KEMPA Journalism

KEMPA Journalism

KEMPA Journalism

2024 KEMPA Scholarship Recipients

Four outstanding seniors receive 2024 KEMPA scholarships

Once again KEMPA received many outstanding scholarship applications, leaving us to believe that the future of journalism is in good hands with these students moving on to college to pursue their careers in the Fourth Estate. It was difficult to choose from several worthy candidates, but we were able to award four scholarships to those students who went above and beyond. The four recipients are: Josie Menna from Lyons Township HS, Ava Gordon from Stevenson HS, and Mia Carr from Glenbrook South from Illinois and Madeline Monthie from Stoughton HS in Wisconsin.

Josie Menna will be taking her impressive photo journalism skills to Tulane University in New Orleans in the fall. Her sports photos were striking and captured the raw emotion of the athletes. Josie has always had a passion for sports photography as you can see from the following description in her own words:

“As a high school photographer with a passion for sports, I have discovered a compelling aspect of photography – sports photography. It is a genre that combines my love for both photography and athletics, allowing me to capture the energy, passion, and raw emotions that unfold on the playing field. Sports photography holds a special place in my heart because it enables me to freeze those split-second moments of triumph, determination and teamwork that define an individual or team. Whether it’s the victorious celebration of a winning goal, or the fierce determination etched on an athlete’s face, these are moments that deserve to be immortalized.”

The University of Missouri will be welcoming Ava Gordon in the fall as she dreams of being a reporter and developing her broadcast journalism skills. Here’s how she described her experience with the visual arts:

“To start off, a goal I have more related to my major is to become a reporter. Broadcast journalism really interested me when I was in high school, as I took a class where I experienced taking b-roll, reporting on real stories and collaborating with others on how to use specific technical elements. In class, we edited, reported and constructed distinct features about events, specific people, and concluded with a 7-10 minute documentary. I learned the importance of video storytelling, and how it can change one’s entire perspective on a topic, based on how a story is depicted.”

“After discovering how passionate about journalism I am, I want to continue to expand my education and become a reporter so I can better understand different views and perceptions around the world, and learn the truth about events that are happening near me.”

Mia Carr is not sure what university to attend, but she knows for sure she wants to be a journalist. She got the bug for journalism in her freshman year when she had to go interview a senior for one of her first interviews. She was nervous, but right away there was a spark – she loved interviewing. Mia was put into a position where she had to think on her feet and start firing questions as she went with the flow of the interview. From there she was hooked and had “an excitement that would propel me for the rest of my life.” Now she had a real respect for journalism and writing as she said:

“Words are the most powerful weapons that people possess. They can reveal truths, start wars, and initiate invention. In journalism, you harness the power of words and turn them into something meaningful. I want to do that for the rest of my life. While I am not exactly sure which aspect of journalism defines my future, I know that it will be a part of it. I love interviewing people and hearing their stories and their thoughts. I want to keep up with this notion for the rest of my life. I hope that my days are characterized by meaningful interactions and powerful conversations, ones that are amplified through the power of journalism.”

Madeline Monthie was described by her adviser as ”a voracious reader, curious student, and human rights advocate. …It is without a doubt that Madeline brings passion and creativity to every story she writes and every story she edits.” 

Madeline’s love for reading and writing began when she broke her leg during the summer when she was nine years old. She was stuck in the house, and her mom, an English teacher, turned her onto reading books.  And as she said, “Little did I know that this incident would spark the longest, most impactful passion that continues to shape my life today.” From then on she was hooked and remarked that, “Without books and words, I would be a drastically different person than I am today.”

This was the catalyst that made her want to become an editor and deal with the world of words and stories for the rest of her life. In her own words she concluded:

“Lives—including mine—have been drastically changed by stories. Words of others make their way into my head and my heart and refuse to leave, for better or for worse. When it came time for me to choose a career path, it was obvious: I wanted to keep doing what I love. My love for reading and writing expands beyond the pages; I admire the work put into writing and publishing. The ultimate composition, meticulous attention to detail, and extreme dedication that goes into the publication of a single book are impressive and appealing. This drive helped me discover my ultimate goal: to become an editor and establish my own publishing house.”

KEMPA commends these journalism scholars, and wishes them all the best of luck as they start their college careers.

Josie Menna
Ava Gordon
Madeline Monthie