KEMPA Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference: Back to Basics

Do you want your student journalists to boost their skills? Are you ready for your students to be excited to produce quality work? Are you fantasizing about taking a field trip again? The Kettle Moraine Press Association (KEMPA) is ready to help you make that happen.

KEMPA’s goal is to support advisers and student journalists. By offering programs like our summer journalism camp, winter adviser’s retreat and fall student conference during the year, we can help build your program. At the Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference, we connect you to professionals and other advisers in our KEMPA community. 

*check out this one-pager to print and check out through the UW-Whitewater website!

KEMPA is excited to support you with our face-to-face (really!) fall conference on Friday, Oct. 14, 2022 at UW-Whitewater. We are looking forward to meeting in person to help your staff build their skills, connect with other student journalists, be inspired by winning contest entries, and celebrate last year’s accomplishments. 

Our theme, BACK TO BASICS, emphasizes the need to build our journalism skills and our journalism programs. Sessions will focus on the specific skills journalists and programs need: team-building, photography, journalistic writing, and interviewing. 

The opening session will begin at 9:30 a.m. with awards and announcements and a keynote speaker at 10:00 a.m. The two sessions will last 45 minutes, starting at 10:45, and 12:45.  Advisers and presenters at 11:30 will take part in the annual KEMPA membership meeting, including awards presentations, elections, announcements, etc.   

Online registration for the event will start in August.

$20 per student and adviser for KEMPA-member publications. 

If you wish to become a regular member, use this KEMPA membership form 2022-2023 (Membership: $55) and send it to Bob Kay at address on the form.

$25 per student and adviser for non-KEMPA members.  

Advisers, it’s not too late to join us as a presenter. Your experience as an adviser is invaluable, so feel free to share a favorite lesson or activity with other students or advisers. We’d like sessions both for students and advisers. We welcome proposals that would focus on any aspect of journalism, including advising, photography, writing, newspaper, magazine, yearbook, online publishing, advertising and more. Please use the following link to submit a proposal.