Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference: Innovating in a Time of Crisis

Students listen to the 2019 keynote presenter, Mary Beth Tinker

KEMPA will hold a virtual, live Fall Conference on Friday, Oct. 16, 2020.  

Our theme will be INNOVATING IN A TIME OF CRISIS. All sessions will be presented via WebEx through UW-Whitewater. Students and advisers will be able to attend sessions from school or from home, via their device of choice.

The opening session will begin at 8 a.m. with awards and announcements. Each of the three sessions will last 45 minutes, starting at 8:45, 9:45, and 10:45.  Advisers and presenters at 11:45 will then take part in the yearly KEMPA meeting, including awards presentations, elections, announcements, etc.   The cost remains the same:

• $15 per student and adviser for KEMPA-member publications. (If you wish to become a member, use this KEMPA membership form 2020-2021 and send it to Bob Kay at address on the form.)
  • $20 per student and adviser for non-KEMPA members.
  • LATE Registration (members and non-members):  After Sept. 30, all registrations are $25.

All sessions will be presented live with the ability to ask questions (via chatroom) during the sessions. Every session will also be recorded and available to all Fall Conference virtual attendees after the conference.

Registration will open in mid-August. Check back here for information at that time.

Advisers, we invite you to join us as a presenter. We’d like sessions both for students and for the advisers. Your session does not have to match the theme, but we especially welcome those that do. We welcome proposals that would focus on any aspect of journalism, including advising, photography, writing, newspaper, magazine, yearbook, online publishing, advertising and more.   You may have a lesson  you have taught online that would be perfect for this format.  We’ll work with you to decide best sessions to present if you wish to adjust. 

How-to videos will be available for presenters in advance from Amanda Aegerter at the Continuing Ed Dept. at UW-Whitewater. Additionally, Amanda will do a practice run with you a week to 10 days in advance of the conference to be sure everything works and you are confident using WebEx as the platform for the event.

Presenters have the choice of receiving a modest stipend or donating it to KEMPA. Email Linda Barrington to let her know if you are interested  within the next two weeks, by July 22. If you want to repeat a session, let her know.