Superior High School photographer wins first place CSPA Gold Circle Award for Digital Media

Sophomore Brooklyn Burger (12) slips the puck past Hudson goaltender Alayna Kushiner (1) at Superior Ice Arena Dec. 8. Photo by Judd Ericksoon

The Superior High School girls hockey team lost a heartbreaker in overtime, but senior Judd Erickson won first place with his photo of one of them making a shot during the game against Hudson High School in December 2018.

Entries were submitted in 2019, and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association in New York City announced the Gold Cold Circle Award winners this month, April 2020.

The Spartan Spin student newspaper adviser Andy Wolfe reflected on Erickson’s work on the newspaper.

“Judd was one of the most amazing students I had in the past five years,” Wolfe said. “He was the most dependable student when it came to caring about his words, the truth in his story and helping his classmates. And that’s why he was promoted to editor-in-chief last year.

“As much as he helped his classmates with both writing and photography, he also listened to his own mentors, namely Jed Carlson, the photographer at the Superior Telegram, who showed Judd and other students what angles to shoot from, as well showing them shutter speed and F-stop adjustments. Judd always listened.

“Judd’s leadership, humor, and dedication have been missed since he graduated, but not too much: though he graduated last year, he was coming to our class once or twice a week and volunteering as a mentor this year – before the Wisconsin Covid-19 Stay at Home Order took effect. The current students valued his knowledge and guidance as much as his peers did last year.”

Side note:  KEMPA values the work of professionals who support scholastic journalism. Erickson’s mentor, photographer Jed Carlson, was recognized by KEMPA with its Media Award in 2014.