Who Are We

MISSION
The Kettle Moraine Press Association is a network of classroom teachers, experienced educators, industry professionals and friends of scholastic journalism. Serving Illinois and Wisconsin journalism teachers, KEMPA’s goal is to provide resources, advocacy and mentorship to our membership.

OBJECTIVES
• To establish a support system for Illinois and Wisconsin journalism instructors.
• To emphasize and teach responsible and ethical journalism and to be a catalyst for lessons in freedom of expression and democracy.
• To impart an understanding of the development and purpose of journalism in our schools.
• To provide its members with experiences and information to develop the qualities and attributes basic to successful teaching of journalism and directing of publications.
• To provide information on new developments, trends, practices and standards to raise the quality of school publications.

WHAT WE DO
• Provide access to a network of classroom leaders and mentors to help build a strong scholastic journalism community.
• Advocate for Illinois and Wisconsin journalism teachers with state agencies.
• Host the Fall Scholastic Journalism conference annually in October. Conference activities include instructional sessions for students and teachers, keynotes, adviser luncheon and award ceremony.
• Recognize teachers, administrators and professionals who make significant contributions to scholastic journalism. The Nancy Becker Newspaper Adviser of the Year and Jan Kohls Yearbook Adviser of the Year awards honor journalism educators who have proven to excel in the scholastic journalism community. The Friend of KEMPA Award recognizes professionals and others who support the scholastic journalism community. The Administrator of the Year Award honors campus leadership who supports the journalism educational experience.
• The Kettle Moraine Press Association Hall of Fame recognizes teachers, administrators and professionals who made a lasting effort on KEMPA.
• Honor graduating seniors with scholarship money through an annual scholarship competition.
• Host events for students and advisers to support their continued growth: Summer Journalism Workshop, Winter Adviser Seminar and day workshops.
• Sponsor contests to honor and recognize student work.

GET INVOLVED
Volunteer opportunities
• Present a session at our Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference
• Mentor other advisers (register for training through JEA Mentor Program)
• Join the KEMPA Board of Directors
• Special committees on an as-needed basis
• Share experiences and lesson ideas on KEMPA website

THE MAIN EVENTS
• Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference — annual October conference in Whitewater, Wis., with keynote by professionals and teachers, seminar sessions, publication Best of Show awards from individual contest entries
• Winter Adviser Seminar hosted in March at Lake Lawn Lodge in Delavan, Wis.
• Summer Journalism Workshop hosted in July at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wis.
• Day Workshops

AWARDS, CONTESTS AND CRITIQUES
• Annual individual contests for all media students
• All-KEMPA — awards to be announced at annual fall journalism conference October 11, 2019
• Yearly membership critiques provided with membership dues