Registration open now for Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference, Oct. 11, 2019

Mary Beth Tinker will present the featured morning address and three other sessions

You and your students will have the opportunity to meet Mary Beth Tinker and hear her talk about Student Press Rights in three different breakout sessions.  Her opening keynote address will focus on “The First Amendment and You.”

The First Amendment is one of the most basic principles of our democracy, but does it apply to students? In the past, legal experts didn’t think so.  That changed in 1969 when the Supreme Court ruled in “Tinker v. Des Moines” that “students are persons under our Constitution, with the rights and responsibilities of persons.” Hear Mary Beth Tinker discuss the case and its relevance today and be sure to bring your questions and comments!

Plan to attend in the fall with your new staff.  KEMPA yearbook members, remember to send in your membership renewal AND publication for a free critique up to the date of the conference.  Publication awards with critique results will be presented at Fall Conference.   Also individual awards will be presented at Fall Conference.

Here is the Fall 2019 program FINAL, listing all the sessions, schedule and presenters to give you an overview of the entire day.

Registration is now open.  This is what registration asks for, so you will have your information ready when you click on this link to register.

• Adviser(s) name, adviser(s) email
  • Principal name, email
  • Publication name and type
  • Whether or not you plan to attend the Welcome/awards presentation at 8:30
  • School phone
  • Any special needs you have
  • Whether you’ll need a parking permit
  • Number of registrants
  • Advance registration for TV Production, Radio Production and Hands-on Page Design
  • Number of advisers attending the luncheon (which is free for you)
  • How you will pay (credit card or purchase order)

MORE DETAILS

COST:  

• $15 per student and adviser for KEMPA-member publications. (If you wish to become a member, use this  and send KEMPAmembership_form_2018-19 to Bob Kay at address on the form.)
  • $20 per student and adviser for non-KEMPA members.
  • LATE Registration (members and non-members):  After Sept. 30, all registrations are $25.

Confirmation letters will include map and last-minute instructions. Late registrants are not guaranteed confirmation letters or conference materials. Absolutely no refunds will be given.

*Students are on their own for lunch. A restaurant list will be in their check-in packet.

AWARDS PRESENTATION and WELCOME AT 8:30 a.m. IN YOUNG AUDITORIUM for everyone.  Note that this ONE Welcome Session is at an earlier time than usual and in a new campus location. 

As an important part of the Scholastic Journalism Conference day, KEMPA will present awards to staff representatives or advisers, and both awards and critiques may be picked up at the Welcome at 8:30 a.m. School spirit and school pride in publications are encouraged by KEMPA. Be present; cheer on your school.

Individual awards will also be announced on the screen before the Welcome and Awards presentation.

ABOUT SESSIONS REQUIRING ADVANCE REGISTRATION

TV Production is a double session (1 and 2). Limit of two students per school–limited to 20 registrants.
Radio Production is offered at three separate sessions. Limit of one student per school–limited to first 10 registrants per time slot.
Hands-on Page Design is offered at Session 2 only this year. Limit of two students per school–limited to 20 registrants.  Students do not need to bring laptops.

Tickets for these sessions will be given to the adviser at the check-in desk.