Dow Jones News Fund names Patrick Johnson 2016 Distinguished Adviser

PRINCETON, N.J. (Sept. 20, 2016)

Patrick Johnson of Antioch (Illinois) Community High School is in his sixth year teaching (his fourth at Antioch; the first two at Marquette University) and fourth year advising the Tom Tom, a website and 10-issue student life magazine. During his tenure at Antioch, Johnson has grown the journalism program from 12 students to 90 this fall, and oversaw the addition of a new media lab, broadcast studio and photography studio.  Johnson was named a 2016 Rising Star by JEA and the 2015 Newspaper Adviser of the Year by the Kettle Moraine Press Association (KEMPA). He is a board member of Quill and Scroll, KEMPA and the JEA Digital Media Committee.

From the KEMPA Perspective:

The KEMPA Board is proud of Patrick Johnson, CJE, and his selection as DJNF Distinguished adviser.  He clearly meets the criteria for this honor:

• As a KEMPA Board member, Patrick has demonstrated a commitment to journalism education.
  • He also demonstrates his commitment to helping other advisers. He writes a monthly blog for the KEMPA website that focuses specifically on issues affecting new journalism advisers
  • Patrick shows commitment to continually improve the medium or media advised.
  • He clearly empowers student editors to make all editorial decisions in a responsible way without content being subject to prior review.
  • In his classes and in his newsroom Patrick fosters an awareness of the rights and responsibilities granted by the First Amendment.
  • Patrick regularly seeks additional professional development opportunities to improve skills as a journalism adviser/teacher.
  • He encourages student editors to attend workshops, conferences and conventions

Patrick’s nomination focused on his leadership at school, with KEMPA and through the Journalism Education Association. The work Patrick is doing for scholastic journalism is far-reaching.  His commitment to the improvement of KEMPA as well as journalism programs in Wisconsin and Illinois has been remarkable in the short time he’s been on the KEMPA board.  He demonstrates a broad vision, strong leadership and healthy work ethic.  He has established himself and his journalism program as credible and effective while attracting quality students genuinely committed to the Tom Tom.

Congratulations, Patrick, from everyone at KEMPA.