KEMPA students win CSPA Gold Circle Awards

By Linda Barrington, MJE

Columbia Scholastic Press Association announces its Gold Circle writing awards, with more than a dozen KEMPA students among the recipients. The CSPA said 12,847 entries were submitted students at colleges, universities and secondary schools throughout the United States. The Gold

Circle competition is for individual achievement by students as writers, editors, designers and/or photographers.

For newspaper

General or humor commentary
Certificate Merit to Jeremy Oaks, “Evolution: high school edition,” The Spartan Spin, Superior High School, Superior, Wis., adviser Andy Wolfe

Single Subject News or Feature Package, Single Page Design Tabloid format
Certificate Merit to Jenna Frazier, “College knowledge,” The Purple Sage, Waunakee High School, Waunakee, Wis., adviser Tammy Rademacher

For yearbook

Organization/Greek writing
Certificate Merit to Madeline Beja and Samantha Schmidt, “Forensics and Radio Club plug in to get the word out,” El Diablo, Hinsdale Central High School, Hinsdale, Ill., adviser Erin Timmons

Sports spread: one spread
Second Place to Madeline Beja, Jordan Bromberg and Rachel Krauss, “Back to home plate,” El Diablo, Hinsdale Central High School, Hinsdale, Ill., adviser Erin Timmons

For digital media

(Adviser Evelyn Lauer’s students from the Niles West News, Niles West High School, Skokie, Ill., took all the KEMPA awards in this category.)

News feature
Second Place to Gabrielle Abesamis, “Students from Ohio school shooting share experiences”

Personal opinion: On-campus issues
First Place to Colene Gibson, “Doesn’t anyone remember the golden rule?”

Personal opinion: Off-campus issues
First Place to Isabelle Davis, “Amanda Todd: It goes beyond bullying”

Certificate Merit to Isabelle Davis, “On birth control, Rush, and double standards”
General or humor commentary

First Place to Alyssa Guzman, “Engaged and underage: Love in high school”
Certificate Merit to Alyssa Guzman, “Keep your clothes on and your pictures off (of Facebook)”

Single sports photograph
First Place to Vicky Robles, “Sophomore Paul Dogo”

Typography: Overall look of the entire website

First Place to the staff
News Online Design Website

Certificate Merit to the staff
Interactive graphic
Certificate Merit to the staff, “Homecoming timeline 2012”

Congratulations to all the KEMPA Award winners. Advisers and students, I encourage you to check out the CSPA website for entry and deadline information for next year. Remember, you  can’t win if you don’t enter. The deadline for yearbook, video and online media is Nov. 1, 2013.

All newspaper and magazine entries must be postmarked by June 17, 2014. Your publication must be a CSPA member to enter.