KEMPA Scholarship Applications Due March 15, 2019

2019 scholarship applications due March 15 (postmarked)

To promote journalism and communication careers, the Kettle Moraine Press Association (KEMPA) will award up to $2,000 in scholarships to this year’s graduates of member publications who plan to major in journalism, photojournalism, communications, English, journalism education or related areas at an accredited college or university. A scholarship winner must carry at least the minimum number of credits allowed to qualify as a full-time student.  This is a one-time scholarship and is non-renewable.

2019 KEMPA Scholarship Application

Please include all required items with this application form. Applications must be POSTMARKED BY midnight, Friday, march 15, 2019 and sent to

Bob Kay, KEMPA scholarship chairperson

827 Liberty Bell Lane

Libertyville, Illinois 60048

If you have questions, please contact Bob Kay at [email protected]

2019 KEMPA Scholarship Application

One or more of the courses during the 2019-2020 school year must be related to the student’s progress toward one of the majors for which the scholarship is intended.

Any 2019 graduate who is a college-bound journalist from a KEMPA-member publication and who wishes to apply for a scholarship must fill out this form and return it to the address below.

Along with this application, you must include the following items:

Academic transcript from the school at which you are currently enrolled

Your publication adviser’s letter of recommendation

Essay explaining your goals for the future

Copies of no more than five published examples of your work. This might be photocopies of yearbook or newspaper stories or photocopies of layouts/photos, graphic designs, or printouts of web stories for your publication. For a sample of your broadcast work, include the URL of the location where judges may find your broadcast. Examples of your work will not be returned.

Applications and supporting material must be sent to Bob Kay, KEMPA scholarship chairperson, postmarked no later than Friday, March 15, 2019. Winning students will be notified in early May, and the scholarship award should arrive to help with second semester expenses next year.

We look forward to receiving applications for the 2019 scholarships and encourage you all to turn in your scholarship materials postmarked by March 15, 2019.

2019 KEMPA Scholarship Application

————————————————————————————————————–

2017 KEMPA Scholarship application

As we await the applications for our 2017 scholarship program, the 2016 KEMPA scholarships recipients reported back on their successful first semesters at Indiana and Northwestern Universities.

Hannah Boufford (Libertyville H.S.,Illinois) is an Ernie Pyle Scholar of Journalism at Indiana University. In her first semester, Boufford was already writing articles for the Indiana Daily Student’s Inside magazine for her Intro to Media class.

In her first article she wrote a story on transgender students and how their gender identity was more natural to them than their given sex. She followed this up with a second piece on political identity and how it affected students in the 2016 presidential election.

For the second semester, Boufford will be the Cultural Diversity Beat Reporter for the Campus Desk at the Indiana Daily Student. In this capacity she will be required to pitch and write 3 stories a week along with all of her other classes.

Katrina Nickell (Niles West H.S., Illinois) also enrolled in the Media School at Indiana University last Fall. In her Media 101 class, students were exposed to all different opportunities now that the university has all of their communications and journalism majors in one school. Nickell plans on specializing in news reporting and editing with an emphasis on broadcasting. She is very excited about being a member of the Media School and all of the career opportunities that will be available.

After a successful senior year at Brookfield Central H.S. in Wisconsin, Emma Kumar enrolled in the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University last fall. She completed her first quarter and is actively involved in pursuing her career in journalism.

These students are successfully pursuing their dreams of being journalists with a little help from KEMPA.