KEMPA Journalism

KEMPA scholarship recipients thrive at Indiana, Northwestern University

2017 scholarship applications due March 13:  2017 KEMPA Scholarship application

As we await the applications for our 2017 scholarship program, the 2016 KEMPA scholarships recipients reported back on their successful first semesters at Indiana and Northwestern Universities.

Hannah Boufford (Libertyville H.S.,Illinois) is an Ernie Pyle Scholar of Journalism at Indiana University. In her first semester, Boufford was already writing articles for the Indiana Daily Student’s Inside magazine for her Intro to Media class.

In her first article she wrote a story on transgender students and how their gender identity was more natural to them than their given sex. She followed this up with a second piece on political identity and how it affected students in the 2016 presidential election.

For the second semester, Boufford will be the Cultural Diversity Beat Reporter for the Campus Desk at the Indiana Daily Student. In this capacity she will be required to pitch and write 3 stories a week along with all of her other classes.

Katrina Nickell (Niles West H.S., Illinois) also enrolled in the Media School at Indiana University last Fall. In her Media 101 class, students were exposed to all different opportunities now that the university has all of their communications and journalism majors in one school. Nickell plans on specializing in news reporting and editing with an emphasis on broadcasting. She is very excited about being a member of the Media School and all of the career opportunities that will be available.

After a successful senior year at Brookfield Central H.S. in Wisconsin, Emma Kumar enrolled in the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University last fall. She completed her first quarter and is actively involved in pursuing her career in journalism.

These students are successfully pursuing their dreams of being journalists with a little help from KEMPA. We look forward to receiving applications for the 2017 scholarships and encourage you all to turn in your scholarship materials postmarked by March 13, 2017.