Student Video Creates Deep Learning for Intro Class

By Chris Lazarski

I decided making a “9/11 video” for the entire school to watch on 9/11 would not only be motivational, but also a good way to teach my beginning journalism students the basic skills of broadcast journalism – basic interviewing techniques and questioning strategies, camera set up, framing, rule of thirds, audio use and monitoring, basic video editing, story telling etc.

Lots of challenges.  We started school on 9/1.  We had 3 days of modified schedules and a national holiday.  Students had no journalism or formal training.  I have 3 other preps.  Run Freshman Orientation.  Teacher meetingdeath. etc. etc.

There was a lot telling me NO.  Do NOT do this – use your awesome news value powerpoint!

However – again and again – people on the JEA listserv have said the best way for students to learn is to just make them do it.   Give them cameras – put note books in their hands – give students epic tasks.

Provide a framework.  Set expectations.

So I did.  I made a schedule.  I planned each day to the minute.  I brought in two guest journalists to demonstrate and encourage.  I made them interview “important people.”   I ran around like a crazy person for two weeks.

We watched the video twice in class before the entire school watched it during our 10 minute advisory period.

What was good:   some vague comments – nice story, decent editing, good nose room.

What could be improved:   LOTS of specific comments – audio levels and hissing, some subjects not framed, some subjects not looking at camera, same background in multiple interviews, essential pieces of interviews not included in final edit. etc. etc. etc.

It isn’t a perfect video – and that is seriously awesome – students learned so much and are very eager for their next project – so they can get it right.

Put cameras in their hands – give them enough to get started and structured support – it took me far too long to take this leap.  I guess we all learned something.

https://youtu.be/Gjsbbd3SY6w

This was originally posted on the JEA listserv on Sept. 12, 2015.

Chris Lazarski teaches “Writing for Publication” and “Media Communications” at Wauwatosa West High School where he advises the extra-curricular West Side Stories student newspaper, website and video journalism programs.

.