KEMPA: journeying together

At my high school class reunion last weekend, we toured the campus, reminiscing, laughing, and sharing escapades.  A visit to the newsroom (alas, the door was locked and we could only peer in the window) brought back memories of my first venture into journalism: having my own humor column, counting out headlines to fit the space, discussing our editorial stance on current issues. How passionate we were.

I was fortunate to have an exceptional adviser, Sister Mary Margred Ulmer, SSND, who taught us the basics and challenged us to make our own decisions. I hope my influence on my own students over the years measured up to her standards.

Once I was teaching, I took every opportunity I could find to study journalism and develop new skills:  a summer internship at a local television station, summer grad work in journalism, additional classes at my alma mater to acquire a Wisconsin journalism license. I thought this was all I needed.

But it wasn’t.

Being an adviser took another set of skills that I struggled with. I was lucky to discover the Kettle Moraine Press Association.  At Winter Advisers’ Seminars I learned how to develop student leaders.  Teaching at Summer Workshop, I had time to learn tips from other advisers teaching there. And my students at Summer Workshop came back with great new ideas for the year.  Fall Conference introduced me to other advisers at a roundtable discussion, and I became part of a community of resources and support.

At KEMPA, I found experienced advisers willing to share their expertise and experiences, from wrangling with a divisive staff to fundraising to getting better sports photos and more.  KEMPA led me to the Journalism Education Association and national conventions and… that’s another story.

To get the most out of your KEMPA membership, you need to be involved in KEMPA activities.

• Send your kids to Summer Workshop. Set aside Adviser Day for yourself at Summer Workshop.  (This year it is canceled.)
  • Help your students use the yearly KEMPA critique to improve your publication.
  • Bring them to Fall Conference. (This year it will be on Friday, Oct. 16 at UW-Whitewater.)
  • Plan to attend Winter Advisers’ Seminar. (It’s scheduled for the first weekend in March at Lakelawn Resort in Delavan, Wis.)

I hope your students will look back on their publication experiences in high school with the same fondness that I do.  I hope they remember the fun, the passion and, most of all, you—their best adviser and teacher of all.  And I hope KEMPA experiences will be part of those memories.

Linda Barrington, MJE, is the graphics adviser for the feature magazine at Mount Mary University in Wisconsin.  She is KEMPA executive director and chairs the Fall Scholastic Journalism Conference.  She is also a JEA Mentor.  Her blog focuses on advising and the importance of KEMPA.